Sunday, April 3, 2011

Catching up...

I know I started this blog a little later in my pregnancy but it didn’t really strike me until today that some of our family isn’t on Facebook and probably won’t set up an account so I thought this would be a good way to provide updates about the baby bump progress J  It’s just the beginning of the blog so I hope to catch you up soon.  I’ll post updates and pictures and share with you our journey to parenthood.
…It all started when…
                Little did anyone know, Steve and I decided in January 2010 that we were ready to take the next step…becoming parents to a miniature version of one of us (we already had kids sorta speak – our furbabies).  We decided the best approach was no real approach at all.  I would stop birth control and let nature take its course.  Over the course of the year we just lived life as normal not really thinking about or planning a pregnancy. 

…Finding out…

                I need to point out that up until I took a home pregnancy test the only thing that clued me in that I may be pregnant was the fact that I missed my monthly cycle by a few days.  I was working my full time job, my part time job some days, and playing soccer once a week on an indoor league.  I was tired but attributed that to stress at work and my active lifestyle.  I had no sickness and had even lost weight.

So..on January 22, 2011 I decided it was time to take a home pregnancy test.  Steve and I were grocery shopping and I picked up a test and shoved it in the grocery bag without his knowledge.  As soon as we got home I ran upstairs to see if what I thought were true…and 2 positive tests later I confirmed my feeling…I was pregnant!  Excited and nervous, I went downstairs where Steve was putting away the groceries and told him that I figured out why I had been so tired lately.  I handed him the pregnancy test.  He looked at me in disbelief.  Then after a minute, he said “cool”….LOL.

…First appointment…

On February 1, 2011 we went for our first OB appointment.  I took a pregnancy test, got weighed, and gave some blood.  We saw Dr. Kil at Central Virginia OBGYN who talked to us and said based on the pregnancy test (which was a urine test) he felt that I was very early in my pregnancy.  He wanted us to come back in two-weeks for a sonogram to determine exactly how far along I was and when my exact due date would be.   

We left the appointment happy that the test confirmed we were pregnant but a little let down because we wanted to have a sonogram picture to use to tell our family we were expecting.  Over the next two weeks it was difficult to keep the secret but we managed, somehow. J

…Sonogram day…

                February 15, 2011…oh the anticipation!  For two weeks we semi-avoided friends…it was no secret that I like my wine and to go to dinner and not have a glass would have raised many questions.  I barely communicated with my mom and my best friend, Virginia, because I knew there would come a point when I just couldn’t hold it in any longer and I wanted to tell everyone in a unique way.  This brings me to the plan that was hatched about how to tell the ‘rents.  We decided that we would wait until we had the sonogram picture before we told the family.  This way we would have a picture and all of the details on the due date.  During the two weeks of waiting, I created three scrapbooks – one for my mom, one for my dad, and one for Steve’s parents.  The final touch was the sonogram picture.

                Our appointment was in the afternoon so the morning was a little nerve racking…I hate waiting and this just made me crazy.  Once we got to the doctor’s office and into the sonogram room we were a little nervous…was I about 8 or 9 weeks, were there twins, am I going to be able to make on the yearly group vacation to Nags Head??  We were about to find out….

                I hopped up on the table and the sonogram technician went to work.  Since there was question as to how far along I was the doctor ordered an internal sonogram.  Fully prepared to see a peanut like shape on the screen I was amazed at what appeared and will never forget the words that came out of her mouth “whoa, there’s a whole person in there!”  Yeah….we were quite surprised too….I was actually 14 weeks pregnant at that point.  Ummm…didn't the doctor say I was very early in my pregnancy??

                With sonogram picture in hand we rushed home so I could finish the scrapbooks, we could finally mail my dad’s and Steve’s parents book for delivery the next day, and we could go tell my mom in person.  I finished up the books and we headed out.  With two books in the mail we were Fairview bound with the third.

…Breaking the news…

                We stopped by my mom’s with the reason (if she asked why we randomly stopped) that Steve needed to look at her computer because one of his buddies had some parts for it.  I took the book in with me and tossed it across the counter at my mom and told her since I was finished with school I needed a hobby and I took up scrapbooking.  I told her to take a look at my first project and tell me what she thought of it.  The scrapbook was a progression of mine and Steve’s relationship…how we met, got married, had furkids, and had fun.  The next to last page had the big news and when my mom turned the page the look on her face was priceless (once she realized exactly was she was looking at).  She didn’t believe it at first…and was in shock.  I’m fairly certain that the news didn’t set in until later that night…but that was exactly what I wanted.  The scrapbook was a success.  Now we just had to wait until the next day to hear the responses from my dad and Steve’s parents.

                My phone rang around noon the next day and it was my dad….filled with joy and excitement, he had received his book.  He was just as excited as my mom.  It was great hearing the excitement in his voice.  Steve’s mom called that evening and they too were filled with joy.  The plan for the surprise unique announcement had worked out perfectly.

                I mentioned before that I had been avoiding friends for a couple of weeks….well….now it was time to let the cat out of the bag.  Throughout the next day I surprised a lot of people with the news.  I sent a picture of the sonogram to my brother and his family introducing them to the newest member of the Basham family, told long time besties Danielle and Bobbijo and made sure that Steve and mine’s best friend Drew knew he was going to an uncle.  The final in person notifications came later that evening when I met Virginia and Rachel for our monthly wine night outing ay Kybecca.  I went along with the plan to meet for wine as to not give anything away.  My mom was invited as was her friend Bridget.  I arrived a few minutes after mom, Bridget, and Virginia.  I had to avoid the waitress’ request to know what I wanted to fill m wine glass with….which was odd.  It was customary for Virginia and I to order a bottle of Jigsaw….uh-oh…red flag.  After a few minutes of conversation and finding out that Rachel was going to be about an hour late…I decided it was time to tell V.  I had bought her a cupcake cookbook because she had suddenly became Betty Crocker over the past couple of weeks.  I gave that to her first then told her I had something else for her….she looked a little worried…(I love it when a plan works)!  I told her that I realized she probably thought I had been blowing her off over the past couple of weeks but I had a really good reason…she was still looking really worried so I handed her the sonogram picture.  She was speechless….and excited….and in shock.  Score!  Another perfect surprise!  Mom brought her scrap book and shared it with V.  Rachel showed up and we went through the entire story again…another perfect surprise!!  It was great finally having the most important people in our lives know about our little secret and being able to share our excitement with them.

…More to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment